Have you ever wanted to play World of Warcraft as a single player game? Tired of paying monthly subscriptions? Whatever your reasons, if you want to create your own private server to play WOW, this simple guide is for you.
Make your own private server for World of Warcraft – Wrath Of The Lich King
For my part, I wanted to revisit an MMO which i subscribed to for years, but abandoned a few years back.
For the most part, I played WOW as a loner anyway, preferring lonely exploring, gathering and crafting to getting into groups or guilds. I yearned to roam Azeroth again, but this time it would be all mine, a single-player RPG with an entire world to re-discover.
Please note that it’s also possible to open your private server up to other players, like your friends. This guide only goes as far as setting up the server for single play. However, it’s quite possible to make this server public if you are so inclined.
If you want your own World of Warcraft server, this simple guide is for you.
Note 1: I chose WOW 3.3.5 for my server, as it includes all the updates up to and including Wrath of the Lich King (WOTLK). Personally, I disliked the way Cataclysm altered the world I knew and wished to revisit, and the way subsequent updates dumbed down the talents system. Some people prefer to base their server on the latest version, others want the vanilla experience. This guide focuses on getting version 3.3.5 to work.
Note 2: I run my WOW server on Windows 7. It should also work on newer versions of Windows though.
Setting up your WOW server
What do you need?
- A copy of the game client, patched up to 3.3.5. Personally I have all the game disks and expansions up until WOTLK (3.3.5) lying around, so I used my official copies. Alternatively, you can find torrents available, although I don’t recommend it since their quality varies greatly and also, well, it’s piracy.
- A number of files which you can find on this link. You need ‘Jeuties blizzlike repack 3.3.5’, DBC.rar, maps.rar and vmaps.rar.
- Extract Jeuties repack
- Extract dbc, vmaps and maps in the ‘core’ directory of the repack
- In your 3.3.5 WOW game folder, change the contents of realmlist.wtf to the following: set realmlist 127.0.0.1
- In Jeuties repack you will find a file called Jeuties Repack Control.exe, run it
- Make sure the paths at the bottom of the restarter are correct
Launch your World of Warcraft server
- Run Jeuties Repack Control.exe
- Start the mysql server
- Tick Restart on crash
- Start the auth server
- Start the world server
- In your WOW 3.3.5 installation folder, start the game – use wow.exe, not launcher.exe
- Log in with username and password ‘admins’
At this point, you should be able to select your server and log into the character creation screen. Congratulations, you have your own Wrath Of The Lich King private server!
It’s quite possible to make your server public so your friends can join you. However, I find this to be one step too far as you would basically be running a competing server to Blizzard’s own. If you do wish to do this, read this article to make your Trinity server public.
I do feel that we should be allowed to make our own single player WOW server though: you’ve paid for the game client, you’ve got the disks, why shouldn’t you be allowed to access the content on your own?
Anyway, enjoy your new single-player WOW experience!